Sunday, December 13, 2015

The ‘savage Arab’ narration

Comics are not quite innocent as it seems to be. There are racist references seen in Tintin, Herge was even accused of being a Nazi sympathiser. Indian mythology is full of regressiveness that is illustrated without much care as comics, unlike endearing Jatakas, these are much sinister. Even exquisite mangas are accused of being too sexualised. In short comics are hotbed of ideologies. Now ofcourse illustrations have become much serious and tackle grievous issues. But comics are primarily targeting children hence these blatant ethical transgression needs to be dealt severely. This blogger was seriously into comics, and didn’t think much while reading, enjoying the story and remarkable illustrations so on. I recall when I was in Chennai, after my college, I was quite hooked to Commondo comics. I got into understanding with a street book seller, who earnestly pursued these for me and lend it. Many times I used to finish it in the nearby tea shop so on, meanwhile I was in some sales job and these were during what was supposed to be ‘office time’, the manager used to give wtf look!! Never was much bothered. Anyway the point here is since I wasn’t much into thinking, or maybe not much aware, I used to consume these without much thought, as most people do. Recently I was reading Commondo comics, and amazingly I was appalled.     

These are really quite racist, and this random one I was reading had ‘savage arab’ narration, ironically the brutal colonial soldiers from Europe where seen as civilising force, so much so that the British soldier even sided with Nazi soldier to teach arab brutes lessons on civility. White men as superior with ‘inbred’ qualities while Arabs uncouth is the underlining theme (note the picture of the illustration herein and underlined sentences, indeed there is a blatant reference to “forces of Islam”, “unholy triumph” so on, hence European soldiers are crusaders. Grievously this only an example of single page taken randomly!!). Shouldn’t these be dealt severely? Wonder how these racist (in this case communal/degrading clichés) materials exist? You will find similar theme in many Hollywood movies, of course much subtler, white men with bigger guns saving the world for us, these cultural hegemony though cannot hide the realities. American soldiers are literally foot soldiers of arms dealers and oil barons. As someone was mentioning they wouldn't have attacked Iraq if it was about asparagus!!

It is in this context that another of my areas of interest, the science fiction stories, is increasingly being occupied by far right groups. I find that disturbing. Science fictions are amazing speculative brilliance, and who can forget Arthur Clarke, Asimov (despite his stupid joke books), Wells or Vernes. The recent trend towards white supremacist in science fiction is too pre modern frame to be taken seriously I guess. It falls in the general trend of postmodern identity angst, hence the revivalism. The grand conception of self as extension of faith/group/race is constant anchor for insecure souls in tachyon speed altering nano space in quantum craziness!!