Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Thank u Mr. Minister

The railway minister’s budget is welcomed on the initiatives taken on unreserved compartments. Increasing the unreserved compartment and making them comfortable (cushioned) was long overdue, particularly the later. This move will definitely help millions of commuters. This blogger has traveled in unreserved compartments hundreds of times. The journey can be quite miserable. But then most Indians at lower strata are quite tolerant to discomforts and create their own ambience to overcome hiccups that it turns out to be pleasant experience, mostly. There is a common misconception that Indian trains don’t run on time my experience has been contrary, except few instances trains have mostly run on time in last 6-7 years, earlier though it was pathetic. Also there is an assumption that unreserved bogies are unsafe…..well it is true to some extend, offcourse one is responsible for oneself and has to take sufficient precautions. This bloggers experience has not been entirely negative. Sometimes the compartment is so full that one might have to stand many hours and even when someone do offer few inches of space (and they do…somewhere people do try to make others comfortable despite their own misery which can be overwhelming at times) the seats are wooden that it starts to sting after few hours, the reason why the cushioning the seats is such a marvelous move (no guesses why previous railway ministers never thought on these line).

There have been some problems during journeys on these compartments like for instance once a man slipped, fortunately the train was not moving fast but he did injure himself, skirmishes do happen but nothing major. Sometimes people also travel inside toilets!!!!. I for one drop out if it gets too bad and create a new plan for traveling…..well I don’t work under anyone!!!. Rishte meh hum thumhare baap lagthe hai, naam hai shehanshah!!!. However one problem remains and you really cannot blame the railways for it (it’s about too much population) that is once you are in you cannot move so food and toilet is no option.

This blogger had almost two years of free run and didn’t have to travel in unreserved. Since my travels are mostly short notice and whimsical I faced untold miseries during traveling in the earlier days then I had this brainwave and it worked spectacularly. Where I used to stay there were guys who worked in railway ministry and they mentioned about last minute release of seats (VIP quota or emergency quota and so on) I tried to get reservation from them but it was bit laborious and you have to pay some 100 rupees. I gathered if you know some top fellows things would be easier, and so I spend some time to know about the structure of railway ministry and presto I came to know about the magazine run by railways (I still am not sure why do they have a magazine!!). There was an Editor who was quite a senior fellow in the hierarchy, easy target!!. Things worked out and quite pleasantly (shocking would be right word) he found me very interesting. I spend many hours in his office, he really didn’t mind me sitting for no reason more appropriately he took lots of time to get talking since somebody or other will drop in or phone, most time I was eavesdropping, these guys have their own little world. …he also gave me coupons for food and so on. I gathered he thought I would make it big (the article I wrote for the magazine was quite mediocre and it was published after few years…things go at their own pace at government!!). He was a nice man but prone to hyperbole. He once even mentioned ‘where you are sitting once Salman Rushdie sat’ (meaning even great writers had come for his favor…sure I believed!!). I just had to book the seat and give the PNR number to his secretary a day before and voila I get reservation, I had two wonderful years of traveling. Absolutely great but then he retired (i did try work out with the next Editor but I was quite rudely shown the door). Nice man he was, he helped me more than many ways. So now the Railway Minister has taken these measures which will definitely make millions of commuter’s life bearable if not comfortable. This blogger congratulates the Railway Minister for the policy decision.

For the Finance Minister: Why not heavy tax on the inheritance of property???. Since we didn’t have much of land reforms this would be quite an appropriate move. Offcourse it requires bold initiatives from the politicians (oxymoron?).

*all photos taken from the NET