Saturday, July 14, 2007

Celebrating two years of blogging!!!!

Technology is incredible. It does provide so many opportunities, one never could imagine few years back. I started blogging July 2005 (12th to be precise) with a poem, it was a tentative attempt but has flourished since. I also have few other blogs, some connected with this one while others I open with different id. Calculating the number of posting in this blog and connected blogs (like depalans.blogspot.com and sdepalan.blogspot.com….trashing Turd not included. Turd is insignificant!!) comes to more than 200 odd postings. That is about 8 postings per month which is almost two postings a week. Not bad!!!.

Blogging is great fun. I don’t really do it with much intention except may be to get involved with few things around. It is about things one comes across. The other day I was watching ‘Tarkovsky’s home’ in my DVD. I came across these lines

“…let them all believe
let them laugh at their passions
because what they call passion is not some spiritual energy
but just a friction between the soul and the outer world
and firstly,
let them believe in themselves…”

One would not know whether it is ‘just a friction’ but some things around does make it inevitable, to respond. I really don’t consider myself much passionate but yes always had this great desire to explore spirituality, in my mid twenties. Tarkovsky is right about ‘believe’ in oneself. This blogger argues that this is what it seems lacking in most people in public life, effective positioning, extolled by popular media. The commerce has finally found cause. Cause is now tax saver!!. Cause is now awards and perks. The reason why we see these mutually contradictory mindsets thriving in an individual (extended to society) is for the stampede to gain, ethics is the prime liability. So issues get juxtaposed to marketability. Like for instance the reason why AIDS issue (thank god the figures have gone down!) has attracted so much attention has less to do with the disease or the real issue. These self appointed conscience keepers squatting Media-TV studios and other public space (I really don’t have much against politicians, they are elected representatives) have no reference point except maybe personal gain or get acceptance of West and thus cling on. This lack of ‘believe’ system according to this blogger, is where the threat is, since they can stoop to any level for even small gains. Market has a significant role but it shouldn’t be allowed to define all that is sacred to us. This blogger had always maintained that the business of Business is Business (the Government cannot ‘request’ business community, either you make laws or keep shut), charity within the ambit of Business is a cynical attempt on Brand building and should be taxed.

I don’t take blogging seriously, it is quite exciting though. The very idea of easy access to public space is astounding. Technology undoubtedly has been a great source of democratizing, at a level it is liberating. I wouldn’t have spend so much time in Delhi if I knew about blogging!!. I take Internet seriously and spend two odd hours a day exploring interesting sites and writings (and videos), its immense, its amazing.

I am very keen on v-blogging, it is amazing if you could post video with the text. Although photography has incredible possibilities this blogger took it up very recently, just around 7-8 years back, previously I never thought about ‘capturing’ space. I still try not to think about camera much when traveling, it’s interference. I find digital camera quite an interesting invention; you actually can see the result instantly unlike reel camera wherein you have to wait for the film to get over. Amazing I tell you. I recall instant camera when I was kid (later I came to know it is referred to as Polaroid), someone known had come back from ‘persia’ (it is a big event) and showed me this amazing camera, you click and the photo slide down, a minute or two the photos emerge. That technology, against all expectation, didn’t catch up with public…wonder why?.

We had a typewriter at home, I never thought the keyboard could ever be used (I practiced it as a career option when I was in school, most people whom I knew at that time started their career as stenos!! Incidentally I also learned short hand for few months during school summer vacation, in kerala, ‘job security’ was the fuelling factor for these initiations. My summer vacation repertoire (??!!) also includes working in vehicle mechanics workshop assisting repairing car/scooter repair, hated it) till the computer came along. Internet is the best thing to happen and blogging excellent outcome. It is overwhelming. Technology is God.

Blogging is the opportunity I ever could have, the more you think about its possibilities more exciting it is. I sure will be blogging for a very long time to come and keep refining/upgrading in whatever way possible.