Friday, August 10, 2007

The new Vice President and some recollections

I have had absolutely no idea about Mr. Hamid Ansari before he was elected as the Vice President, my ignorance. He being the Chairperson of National Commission of Minority is what I associate with. Long back (I guess 1997-8) I had the opportunity to interview Tahir Mahmood the Chairperson of NCM at that time. I was ecstatic and not to be caught on the wrong foot I spend few weeks in preparing for the interview, asking intelligent and insightful questions is as difficult. Even now more than the interviewed I do focus more on what are the questions asked and why!!!.

I wouldn’t have classified myself as journalist but yes they did, and it was entirely new ‘occupation’ for me!!. The tag of ‘media’ can be quite heady. Tahir Mahmood I recall was laconic with permanent grave expression etched on his face. Even when I cracked, what I thought was a good joke, his response was studied, just a shade of amusement (geez was I disappointed!!). Well I guess in retrospect it was good antidote for my excited self, those days I did cross those lines frequently!.

NCM is not a constitutional body but it has specific function of safeguarding the minorities- religion and linguistic. One had to however know the provisions for minorities in the Constitution, the reference point. Therefore I spend lots of time in Central Sectariat library, it is a multistory building with well stocked books (they had amazing colorful books on aquarium fishes) as also rare documents but unfortunately the staffs were not much inclined on books (they even forgot to properly cover the books when the building was being whitewashed!!. Also they were not much bothered about readers and so had to listen to chunnu munnu’s mummy’s latest. This library also became my favorite haunt later to escape summer heat, ended reading up stuff I never thought I ever would!!). During that time ‘conversions’ was becoming something of a discussion point because of various happenings. It was while I was going through these that I came to know about the discussions that preceded adoption of each Article of the Constitution. Like for instance the word ‘profess, practice and propagate’ (of Article 25) was discussed in great detail, each word dissected and put into context and significance. It was an amazing experience and as one goes through these debates in Constituent Assembly you could easily get transported to those ambitious exciting days of a nascent nation.

And what about the interview with Mr.Mahmood??

Well I don’t know whether it was published or not since I had quit by then. So that was my short stint as a journo!!. Another job, another day!!