Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why we should read ‘The Islamist’, and some personal recollections

The Islamist’ is a path breaking book in many ways. It is one of those rare books that have become generic reference to Islamic fundamentalism: Islamist is now a reference to far right in Islam. ‘The Islamist’ is a candid insight into contemporary mindset that breeds fundamentalism, in specific reference to follies of Britain that unfortunately impacts the world- more to this subcontinent because of embryonic ties of the elite. It is an autobiographical journey of young man Ed Husain (Ed since he found in his journey to understand Islam- in Damascus, that Mohammad ‘was an honored name reserved to Prophet, and not to be used in vain’), he traveled right through slush of fundamentalism and radicalism into world of enlightenment and understanding. It is compelling story, a life worth knowing. Each word he writes exudes his experience, his search that I find so very riveting. To some extend it is a study on contemporary world, although richer societies but it rings in here too. Further it is beyond proof that Britain is a breeding ground radical elements, a launch pad. The humane concern of ‘The Islamist’ is what transcends boundaries.

There are many things he writes that I also identify with strongly (as most of you will). Although I had not much to do with far right but in college had brush with Communism (peripheral level at JNU) . There is no difference between ideology based organized groups whether Religion or Marxism initiated, that uproot from sorroundings. So I do identify the initial fervor Ed experienced as ‘brother’ (replace that with ‘comrade’ or sagav). To escape ragging in first year of college I started to hang around with ‘comrades’ whom nobody touched. The very first month I was locked up in toilet –in the lodge next to the college since most first years don’t get hostels, and asked to draw the top view, side view of the closet…which they found to be appropriate dimensions after few hours, this ‘mild’ form of ragging took serious abuse to some whom I knew so I immediately took refuge under comrades who had a very strong presence in the college, many stayed nearby. I started to drop into their meetings and listen to discussions; they discussed ‘imperialistic forces’ to policies of state government- grand thoughts, in Malayalam it sounded grander!! Unlike Ed I thankfully didn’t submerge into these groups. I had other circles wherein we went to kovalam and other beaches and did lots of crap still not clear whether good or bad but I had a yen for foreigners those days (‘hey saippu where you from?!!”). Comrades were quite serious and focused people. They did serious planning like thinking up the slogans, going to the college at night and pasting posters that I also took part few times. At one level I found them quite admirable beyond a point very boring!!. Those days college atmosphere had become quite tense due to fight between parties very much supported by outside elements the main being SFI (the student group of Left) and ABVP (the hindu wing). There were night attacks on hostels with knifes, reported quite prominently in news papers even the CM that time E.K. Nayanar visited our Hostel (I liked that man very much, he had great sense of humor) and asked for calm. We like minded students I recall went around the college with guitars and so on singing Lennon’s ‘all we are saying give peace a chance’!!!. Never heard that song before but took liking to it immediately (Lijo-I recall, who headed the band considered himself a ‘born again’. Most ‘born again’ compulsorily had guitars!!). My association with comrades came to an abrupt end when they broke and stamped the image of Goddess Saraswathi that ABVP had put for some function. Saraswathi is Goddess I favored and prayed since childhood (half an hour daily in the evening), albeit I rebelled out as a teenager and rarely went to temple except on some auspicious days but treating Goddess you have somewhere in mind with such appalling manner can hurt deeply. Hence forth I had nothing to do with comrades (Hanish Mohammad though was an exception, nice guy he was and I did vote for him for college chairperson, he now is a senior bureaucrat is heartening). I agree with Ed when he uses the word ‘secular fundamentalists’, these people can be very damaging, they live out of religion fundamentalism, they get their identity from these so in certain way keep radical elements alive by instigations and hyperbolic reactions. Market forces have emboldened them recently.

I also identify with Ed’s revelation through Sufi in particular Rumi. Rumi (Sufism) at one time I read everything about. He was amazing. There is an unfortunate incident that I would like to relate here. Iranian cultural centre had organized a talk on Rumi for which I went with lots of expectation and excitement. Everything went fine till one Indian muslim (fundamentalist to core) objected to the translation of a verse wherein ‘guru’ was used. He said that was Hindu word, the Iranian tried to explain that it is as good as English and we need to get to the essence of the word and verse but the Indian was adamant and stalled the event for sometime, I left very disheartened. Rumi is beyond all this crap.

Amartya Sen’s writing on ‘more to identity than religion’ Ed experiences in Syria. At one stage he is exasperated “….. such questions of ‘origin’ infuriated me. I would argue that the millions of Syrians from coastal regions crossing into Lebanon could not possibly claim to be ‘Arab’. They were a conquered people. If they could become Arab by virtue of speaking Arabic, rejecting their Phoenician heritage, and accepting islam, then I was British by virtue of birth, upbringing…..” . Later there is a reference to ‘Turkish occupation of Syria’ which Syria resents even today.

I always used to wonder on British giving asylum to known terrorists in 1980s and 1990s, my conclusion was ‘arrogance and chickens came home to roost’ but Ed enlightens through one Bernie “…allowing Oma
r to stay in Britain will give them a good start, a diplomatic advantage, when they have to deal with Islamic state. Having Omar serves them well in future. M15 know exactly what we are doing, what we are about, and they have given green signal to operate in Britain”. Now that is interesting!!. I never underestimated deviousness of British elite, it is about packaging as 'multiculture'/'freedom of expression'!!

The Islamist’ is an important book of the time in which we live. It is a strongly suggested book, this blogger hopes it will be translated in as many languages as possible. Ed’s life need to be read. Albeit I am not much of a British admirer nor I agree with lines like ‘Saddam Hussein effectively invited the US army to invade Iraq by playing cat-and-mouse games with UN arms inspectors”. Despite these small differences this book is a book of hope and sanity in an increasingly radicalizing world.

The Kite Runner of Khaled Hossieni is another book I read recently (The fact that both these books are from Islamic world is
quite a coincidence and not an attempt on ‘secularism’!!. Don’t make me cringe!!). The Kite Runner is a quite a warm story written in first person on the events in Afghanistan. The demise of Afghan society is narrated in all its poignancy. I rather enjoyed reading about kites, kids running to catch fallen kites hence the name of the book ‘kite runner’. The story too ends with flying kites in USA and hopes for a new beginning. It is a good book, I don’t like nitpicking but how will a kid who has all his life lived in most depraved condition in Taliban Afghanistan know about usage of napkins in the first few instance!! “…some of it dripped from the corner of my lips. Sohrab handed me a napkin and watch me dab at my lips…”(page 280). I am pointing out since as a reader it was jarring out- western sensibilities, not a big deal though and I could be wrong!.

The Kite Runner is a great book I liked it very much, although the reason I bought was the cover -the kid and the title. It reminded me of my childhood (I even had that type of T shirt and white PT sho
es, just about that age!!). In Jaipur kite flying was one big event. For three years I was really really into kite flying while schooling in Jaipur. Makker Sankranthi is the day to be in jaipur. They even had lamp kites for night!!. We used to call our principal in school ‘chand dhara’ which was name of a kite, the fellow was bald and nasty!!(name of kite varied according to design). Running for katti pathang was another major occupation. Many of language usage in here centered around kite flying like if somebody said something you don’t believe then we say ‘deel deel’ and make action of charkha in hand and so on. I was reminded of words that I had long past lost (some similar to afghani): dori, manja, kanni….and most importantly the excitement of woh katiya hai….the anthem, the unparalleled victory song!!. Three years in Jaipur was like a dream for any kid.

The Kite Runner I would strongly recommend. I bought it from the pavement for 50Rs and I suggest you too.