Wednesday, January 21, 2009

“New Birth of freedom” a historical event at Washington










Obama’s inauguration as President of USA was probably one of the very few events concerning an individual that was watched and followed by billions of people around the world. This blogger though very tired from a hectic day followed it till the last sentence, I guess the excitement of people around the world got into me too (but yes within few minutes later I was fast asleep!!). It was amazing to watch history being made. The snap taken from BBC.

What we are doing when historical events are unfolding is something that gets etched in our mind for a long time. The same is the case of national tragedies. During conversations I recall story of grandmother dropping tumbler of water and shouting Aiyo on hearing that Nehru has died. In kerala particularly, events of common people do get meshed with bigger events (two malayalam movie brought it out quite nicely; one was my all-time favorite Danny another is Naiythukaran. The English movie Forest Gump was also interesting). Like when EMS died I was at Chandni Chowk having lime soda, happen to glance the hanging newspaper!!. When Indira Gandhi was assassinated I was standing in the last row of the class with raised hand as punishment !!. The reason was we were celebrating the event since we were sure of getting holidays (appalling behavior one would admit), the teacher though not sure of the event thought it necessary to punish us. I also recall when Bhopal gas tragedy unfolded I was studying Chemistry and thought of trying the chemical structure of Methyl Isocyanate!!. Dude was not thinking about people dying but chemical structure that is very strange (but yes last few years I have visited Bhopal twice to get to know the gravity of the tragedy)!!. I guess all of us has some story to tell.

Obama’s inauguration has lot to celebrate but at personal level there is bit of creeping vagueness. I know lots of people who are finding difficulty in getting job, those who have lost jobs. Their insecurities seem to be getting into me, considering that my employability too is very fragile.