Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Celebrating Galileo

Yesterday was Galileo’s birth anniversary, the Indian Institute of Astronomy (IIA) celebrated this by arranging a seminar. This blogger got an invitation but the distance and peak hour traffic was a threat, finally after much vacillation decided to go. Must say it was worth the time spent. The main speaker (don’t recall his name) had good sense of humor and made the seminar lively with slides. He did a good job. Certain aspect of Galileo was so spectacular that it kept me riveted. Galileo was multifaceted, apart from being an incisive scientist he was a writer, a musician. He used his writing skills to good affect trying to communicate his astronomical observations as dialogues. He used Italian, and not Latin, to reach common people. Galileo is referred to as father of modern physics, his contribution has been stupendous. UN declared last year as International year of Astronomy to commemorate invention of telescope. Telescope was a leap from what is seen and what is reality.

It was a great way to spent the evening, this blogger expresses his gratitude to IIA (more photos in photo blog).

What to say…
The blast in German Bakery was a heinous act of cowards. It has left me deeply sad. German bakery was quaint little place which was a meeting point for people, last few years the whole place had become quite crowded and so I used to avoid. Koregoan park was such a beautiful place more than a decade back (I guess I visited here in 1997 and brought a cycle on rent to roam around, I had come here much before while studying in school), it was a agreeable place and I used to interact a lot with foreigners. I recall being in love with a Colombian briefly so used to go to German Bakery with her often. My favorite was Cappuchino (a kind of fungus drink that took me an hour to finish. Every time I come to pune I don’t miss this drink). I also recall making fun of Nepali waiters in here when that massacre at Nepal monarchy happened many years back, they sold newspaper at the counter). Recently though Koregoan has changed a lot, a kind of development I hate. With traffic, even crossing once isolated roads has become difficult. I am also not a fan of young urban Indians, and suddenly lots of call centers and buildings have turned up and so this crowd. Last time I was in a pune I went to German bakery only once (for old time sake I think), for breakfast (poha sold by that woman under the tree used to be really good), I also keep my interaction quite limited these days so preferred the excitement of race course. Pune has changed a lot, some call it development (and therefore should be welcomed) but it lacks any form of subtlety, don’t know crude, crass and gross is how development should be defined. What prevents cities having stricter pollution and noise rules as also space for cyclists? I don’t think I will be going to pune in future, this I decided on my last visit. Slowly cities are moving away from me…images of German bakery only add to uneasiness.

Cities are becoming similar they lack the character and flavor of the place. Unaesthetic buildings are alienating us from ourselves. It is a colossal loss that is difficult to express. .