Sunday, February 27, 2011

Goodbye to Uncle Pai...

Much before video games much much before TV channels there was little cosy world of comics, wonders of Amar Chitra Kathas (there was also Indrajals comics, Diamond comics, Champaks, Twinkle and so on). These comics maintained high artist standards as also source of understanding Indian mythology and history. I do pick up them even now. These I am told have sold more than 100million copies since its inception in 1967. Of course it was much later that i came to know that the man behind these was Anant Pai, popularly known as Uncle Pai.

Post script: incidentally quite unfortunately one of my worst days in life also has to do with Amar Chitra Katha. It so happened that i used to take comics to school for ‘exchange’ with another, also it was fun to read comics surreptitiously while the class was going on. I was in fourth standard and took this new comic to school and someone stole it, next day i was ready for revenge so during ‘games’ period flicked one from the bag of another. I recall it quite clearly that one- it was about Indra and demons. Now it so happened that it belonged to a girl and she was inconsolable rest of the day. Every time i looked at her crying it made me heavy with guilt, that day was probably my worst day. On the way back home i left the comic in school bus.