Saturday, December 03, 2011

I liked Dev Anand


What a guy!! This is not passing of an era but eras. His movies were quite a treat. I thought he was really a superstar, and I personally was enamored by his choice of caps. The swagger and rather exaggerated (one may call it trademark) style was fun to watch. Wholesome entertainment indeed, how much I love these. 

I recall reading some sarcastic comments by RK Narayan in his essays, though I liked his charming fiction work, I frankly thought his views on issues were regrettable and suffered from what I will call ‘Ram’s clan arrogance’ . Indeed ‘Guide’ is one of the better movies and it’s a tribute to greatness of Dev Anand. 

Popular movies are part of collective memory, and define our society in many ways. These are important reference points. And when actors like say Amir Khan or Naseerudin Shah are ready to work without even reading the script or just be part of it, speaks of nuances and fabric that defines our society, that maybe ridiculed by west (or those who are trying to copy them…I am told it’s a new wave happening!) . This blogger thinks there is ample space for movies that doesn’t need any script!! 

On a personal note: few years back I was in Kolkata, a regrettable hotel room with pathetic toilet. I had just landed in the city and raring to go out and walk around the lanes and explore the place (walking around without any specific purpose is the greatest fun, new place makes it exhilarating). It started to drizzle and I sat in the room quite upset with creeping exhaustion. While flipping TV I came across Dev Anand movie…boy wasn’t I happy. 

Ban Dow Chemicals from Olympics

Its height of irresponsibility that smacks of blatant disregard for human lives in poorer societies that Dow Chemicals is being tolerated like this. This blogger finds this hypocrisy not only obnoxious but beyond comprehension. Dow Chemicals attempts to gain credibility through mega events like Olympics despite horrific 27 years for the victims is a ludicrous attempt and the bluff should be called at the earliest. International Olympic President Jacques Rogge needs to answer. British government should decide whether the London Olympics should be marred by this issue. Sport and sportsperson shouldn’t suffer for the greed of the organisers.

Dow Chemicals is a blacklisted company and shouldn’t have anything to do with sports, or for that matter  with civilized world unless it takes the responsibility of Bhopal Tragedy, pay adequate compensation and clean up the place...

Shame on Dow Chemical. Shame on London Olympic organizers.