Tuesday, July 28, 2015

An adorable man

Abdul Kalam was referred to as people’s president for more than many reasons. He had an infectiously positive presence; the sincerity of purpose is what stood out. A dedicated and energetic enthusiasm to know and understand, and translate that to younger generation in a simple lucid manner made him sought after person. A top class scientist, committed to the cause of the nation, a communicator and a benevolent guru. And what is amazing is that he achieved these high technical and scientific calibres without going abroad for higher studies, so on.

It is surprising that he could go through the scheming, mediocre system and come out intact. For that we have to express our gratitude to two individuals, both remarkable in their own way. One, Vikram Sarabhai, who recognised his calibre at an early and crucial stage, probably that saw him bypass the self defeating rigmarole and deceitful surroundings that plagues Indians. That provided him with essential space to sparkle, to be the topmost Indian scientist, and a charming individual. Second, ofcourse is another of great leader Atal Bihari Vajapai, the former PM, who suggested him for the President’s position. So as we pay tribute to Mr. Kalam, as an inspiring human being and undoubtedly a gift to the nation, we must also recognise the role of these two exceptional leaders, one in the field of Science another in Politics. I am reiterating this since all these decades we have leaders imposed on us, depending on their qualities of malleability and sycophancy. Think of Presidents like Giani Zail Singh or Fakkruddin Ali Ahmed, I can go on with the list of those who occupy responsible positions apart from the role as President, those who degrade the institutions, indeed threat to democracy itself (Pranabji is being watched quite closely, so far he is falling regrettably short). We can only blame people who perpetuate these.  


At a personal level, I happen to see Mr. Kalam once at the crossing near India gate more than a decade back, indeed I could have moved on but I waited since I wanted to have a glimpse of him. The other day I was in same position vis-à-vis Pranabji, and I said to myself ‘O dear’ and moved on. This fellow could have spent some time with school children or indeed at the zoo (undoubtedly one of the most well maintained zoo in the country), these will not occur to him and I am not surprised at all. I sometimes take HR related sessions, and Abdul Kalam is always an easy reference that connects with the younger generations. Many years back I even visited Mr. Kalam’s home in Rameshwaram as also lodge in Thiruvanathapuram, and wrote about it in my blog. Earlier last year I had plans to cycle from Puducherry to Tutikudi, and had included Rameshwaram in the itinerary. I still have that tour plan, maybe later this year I will take it up, and include Rameshwaram as a tribute to Mr. Kalam.