Saturday, October 16, 2021

GDP and Bhelpuri

Wow what a pleasant surprise!

I found this scribble/poem “GDP and Bhelpuri” written some 25years back in the Sahitya Akademi journal (published in 1998, I must have scribbled it in 1996) that I mentioned in my last blog entry. I thought I had lost it like many of my early writings in rain flooding and carelessness, though mediocre and naïve attempts but loosing writings that one spent lots of time, effort and thoughts is rather painful. So, discussion on GDP did happen while we hanged out on beach for sunset but nobody was eating bhelpuri (I though prefer peanuts -salted roasted in hot sand, that is quite common in Kerala during evenings. Amazingly crispy warm peanuts that I haven't really come across anywhere else in India, in Karnataka you get boiled peanuts) nor throwing stones at stray dogs. I wanted to work a contrast to bring in the absurd and some fun. Anyway, these were shallow attempts and I was quite impressionable impulsive fellow without much reading habit to get reference for good writing unlike knowledgeable youngsters these days (I mean, look at youngsters like Greta Thunberg or Amanda Gorman and their insights, its mindboggling). Serious reading of literature happened few years later in libraries of Delhi. I mostly kept scribbles to myself. Then this random fellow pushed me to get it published (“Get it published man”, those days youngsters said man and not dude, now they say bro, recently I heard yo!). So here we are. Again, it’s quite mediocre and embarrassing attempt and travesty on idea of great art form called poetry but I still find it quite funny in a stupid way. Reminds me of the lost youngster trying to earnestly understand things to find his way through the careless world.       



GDP and Bhelpuri

This friend of mine
would discuss GDP only eating Bhelpuri.
Crushing the puri of the Bhel,
with saddened mockery,
loosening his executive tie,
he would discuss
crashing of shares at BSE;
gulping generously,
he would suggest,
The Finance Minister should show restraint in fiscal measures.
Flexing his fatty muscles,
he would suggest,
the rupee needs to be strengthened,
Ogling at the legs on the beach,
he said,
the economy needs to be in good shape.
Pushing the urchin away,
he would talk of
the need for liberal credit policy,
Stamping the sand castle,
he would say
Investor confidence needs to be built.
Whistling at the dames,
he would express concern,
at the falling value of the rupee.
He would flow his hand,
over the receding hairline,
and tell me about the horrors of recession.
Taking a stone
he would throw it
at the mongrel,
Straight and direct.
And say,
Foreign Direct Investment should increase.
As the mongrel howled
in protest
He would look disgustingly
and scream
It's the political set up
"Democracy, the bloody hell."

As we sat
watching the sun set,
into the stretched blue Arabian Sea
the sky filled with
beautiful pink, blue and red.
He would shrug
and say,
"you know what, Saju
it’s all a mess,
only God can save this country now."
Looking up,
he repeated,
only God can
as the birds flew motionlessly
into the sunset.

*Saju in the scribble is my first name, for those who only know depalan.