Thursday, June 12, 2008

The ten headed Kamal Haasan is here!!

Dasavatharam is here finally. Watch out for Kamal Haasan he is one actor who innovates a lot, I don’t think I will miss this one (I haven’t really gone out for movies in theatres for a long time, the last few being Shivaji, Munnabhai, Al Gore’s The inconvenient truth…quite eclectic!!). Long back I watched Apoorva sahodarangal (I guess I was in college those days…the songs were quite popular. Even in our college film festival we chose Kamal Haasan movie, he was a big hit). Last 10-15 years I haven’t seen his movie, did catch up part of few movies in TV recently in Tamil channels. I liked ‘Indian’ movie as also fight scenes in Tamil movie where he acts as a old woman (avaai shanmugi), not to forget the silent movie Pushpak. Other movies I liked include spectacular Naayagan, Thenvar magan. He is an amazing actor and probably one of the very few trained classical dancer-actor (also a singer recently!!). You could see those in some of the old Tamil and Malayalam movies. He has also acted in Hindi movies the most popular being 1980s blockbuster Ek duje ke liye, with some equally popular songs.

One movie that I have seen recently in my Box that I absolutely loved was Khosle ka Ghosla, it is brilliant particularly the man who acts property dealer. If you have spend some time in underbelly of delhi you understand the nuances better, many of which will easily be missed by outsiders. I should know it. I have spent more than enough time with property dealers. It so happened that when I first landed up in delhi 95’ later 97’ I used to be very confused about the streets. Karol bagh had thousands of alleys, to get to know the place apart from other things I used to visit Property dealers posing as a person looking for room for rent apart from free chai biskut, next few hours was free ride to different localities in his scooter, it was one big fun. These guys are impeccable in first meetings chai piyoji(he), hanji(i), biskut-viskut vagara (he), hanji kyon nahi (i)…then after few crap about what you do…which I kept changing from student to bank meh kam karthe hai to what not depending on whether I am looking for room or flat (that means visiting richer houses!!). We went to different houses (giving crap answers to some equally crap questions from house owners…one can write few paragraphs on this!!) each I would find some fault, in the end I giving some vague expression….you need to see the gentlemanly fellow slowly bringing out his claw- it is a remarkable transformation from kyon ji aap to kya behenchodh- some of them got really frustrated, but I always tried depart with some promise of future dealing and so on. Next week would be another dealer and there are hundreds of them!!. The only transgression was probably when I tried to play the game, I gave the info about vacate room to a fellow staying nearby for some money, few days later I found the dealer with few goons knocking my door….pay back time!!.