Friday, June 27, 2008

Tribute to a brilliant soldier

Field Marshal Manekshaw was a great soldier and a compassionate human being. I start hearing about him right from my early childhood in discussions around. Every one had great respect from him. He was the Chief of Army during Bangladesh liberation and considered main architect behind the Operation. He had to in the early days of Operation take on the politicians and armchair strategists as they hustled him for early Military action that would have been a blunder.

When I was in my teens there was a Documentary in DD Channel about Manekshaw, he had a small statue of soldier in his home that he saluted every day. That is when I started liking him. Army libraries has more than enough material on war and warfare, I read whatever I could about Manekshaw (those days I also used see Gen. Vaidya quite often). He was a great man and an inspiration, world’s oldest living Field Marshal till yesterday. Great soldiers don’t die they just go back home.

Post Script: Don’t know whether my trivialities should be included when writing tribute to a great man. It is embarrassing but then Bloggers have the right to do anything!!. So I continue with my inanities….. I have mixed feeling about Army, ideally the world shouldn’t have Armies but then world is not an ideal place!!. Some time back I had a dislike for Army recently though it has turned to nostalgia. When I was a teen i used to watch war movies at friends video later I got addicted to war comics particularly about fighter pilots. I recall this fellow in Chennai who used to sell second hand books next to LIC building at Anna Salai who regularly supplied me these comics, those days i was absolutely into Aircrafts so more than story i was trying to identify the type of aircrafts!!. Seeing those turbo props was immense.

I also recall when I was in my early teen we spend ten days or so at Wellington, the place had buzz about Manekshaw. Wellington is a place I really liked, I recall going for long walks, watching soldiers practicing shooting (also punished!!) and eating hot food at aesthetically done Officer’s Mess. It is a charming little town.