Saturday, September 19, 2009

Two amazing poems on spider !!

These are two wonderful poems on spider that are my all time favorite, one of course is Emily Dickenson titled The spider is an Artist and the other by another of my favorite poet (who quite coincidently happens to be an American) Walt Whitman titled A noiseless patient spider. The pic above is taken from a garden near I stay.

The Spider as an Artist

The Spider as an Artist
Has never been employed --
Though his surpassing Merit
Is freely certified

By every Broom and Bridget
Throughout a Christian Land --
Neglected Son of Genius
I take thee by the Hand –

A noiseless patient spider

A noiseless, patient spider,
I mark'd, where, on a little promontory, it stood, isolated;
Mark'd how, to explore the vacant, vast surrounding,
It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself;
Ever unreeling them--ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you, O my Soul, where you stand,
Surrounded, surrounded, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing,--seeking the spheres, to
connect them;
Till the bridge you will need, be form'd--till the ductile anchor
hold;
Till the gossamer thread you fling, catch somewhere, O my Soul.

What amazing poems!!