Saturday, May 08, 2010

Beloved Tagore

I cannot even explain how much I love Rabindranath Tagore. At one point I used to carry a thin copy of Gitanjali wherever I traveled. Those days I used to spent lots of time wandering the mountains of Himalayas. It is here I understood how tremendous this book is. It was enlightening. Much later I came across photos of some of the verses of Tagore in one of the libraries (I guess there is a copy in Sahitya Akademi Delhi, recently I saw it at Cubbon Park library too). It is a beautiful book and you can spend hours looking at . There are some amazing Black and white pictures. Read these enchanting lines of Tagore...with the pictures i took (i always wanted to do it!) 

  Let my doing nothing when I have nothing to do become untroubled in its depth of peace like the evening in seashore when the water is silent

I have scaled the peak and found no shelter in fame’s bleak and barren height. 
Lead me my guide, before the light fades, into the valley of quiet where life’s harvest mellows into golden wisdom

The tall grass sends waves of laughter to the sky in its flowers and I gaze upon the horizon

Earth, clamped into rock or flitting into the clouds; rapt in mediation in the silence of a ring of mountains or noisy with the roar of sleepless sea waves; you are beauty and abundance, terror and famine

Waves rise and fall The flowers blossom and fade 

And my heart yearns for its place At the feet of endless