Thursday, November 13, 2014

Stupendous



Philae –the probe, from the Rosetta spacecraft has landed on comet (after some initial hiccups it has finally anchored on the comet, this was confirmed few minutes back). It is an amazing achievement, considering the odds: a comet hurling at tremendous velocity, and then to negotiate it as also land on what is essentially a gravityless body. It took ten years of journey to reach this comet. It is mindboggling effort. Brilliant. I am reminded of an ancient Chinese saying “May you live in interesting times”.

I also happen to see Interstellar , the Hollywood movie the other day. The last movie I saw in a theatre was Gravity, so comparison is inevitable.  I remain a big fan of Gravity, it had a tremendous impact on me. The scale of Interstellar is impressive. Some of the visuals and conceptions are riveting (frozen clouds were exciting so was passing through wormhole as also black hole). I keep an eye on Christopher Nolan’s efforts after his Inception –another of path breaking movies. Interstellar has some amazing ideas, but I am bit concerned about the intent. It seems we have moved from adaption and mitigation to abandonment, climate change is being referred to ‘dust that land on corn problem’ (?!! btw I am intrigued by American obsessions with cornfield), as also wild west acknowledgement ‘we are pioneers not caretakers’. I am not at all impressed, and I would absolutely agree with George Manbiot of the The Guardian here.   

In the meanwhile IPCC has come out with devastating report on Climate change, they haven’t minced any words. They have stood up to their responsibilities. We are quite grateful to them. The other day US-China too have taken some encouraging steps. Let us see how things are going to concretize later next year at Paris. I had become quite a cynic in recent times (look at the stupid people in Australia, with an equally harebrained leader to match…I am not even able to recall his name…never mind he doesn’t matter, these are minor nuisance in blink of time), there seems to be some rays of hope.