Monday, April 03, 2017

Urgent need for “Carbon Footprint” labelling code

What can I as an individual do to be more responsible towards environment, specifically in reducing my carbon footprint? Trying to reduce food mile and packaged food, favouring organic food so on are methods but it is strongly felt that these shouldn’t be kept subjective or vague for me as a consumer. There is a need for clarity keeping in mind the serious environmental consequences of my choices. So when I buy something I should know what is its carbon footprint, and if it is in red, i.e. severely unsustainable, then I avoid buying it without much thought. Hence it is felt that a code on carbon footprint be created that is easily understood and help consumers make informed responsible decision. Experts can come out with modalities, colour code so on, could be created so I, as a consumer, can reduce my carbon footprint as also the corporates are forced to take mitigative measures.