Saturday, September 17, 2022

A magnificent creature nevertheless




A magnificent creature nevertheless 

Bees see more colours than I can
Birds see colours I cannot conceive
Mantis shrimp see circularly polarized light that I don’t even understand
Fire chasing beetle sense heat I don’t feel
Elephants hear what I cannot sense
Moth locates scent miles away
Butterflies taste with their feet
Crocodile sense pressure many times over my fingers
Killer fly catch prey in space of my eye blink
His brain process visual information many times faster than mine
Dolphins echolocate what I cannot locate
Shark sense electric field
Robins use earth’s magnetic field to migrate
Dung beetle use milky way galaxy as navigational aid…

What I see and do not see
Not blind yet not so
What I hear and do not hear
Not dumb yet not so
What I sense and do not sense
Invulnerable yet not so
Yet I claim exception in all my actions
I am created in god’s image
I am all the million multi-headed, multi-handed, bigger and smaller gods
I am the wise
Yet I lack the sight, sound and sense of common place.

Yet I am another magnificent creature in the vast oasis of life.