Saturday, August 01, 2009

Crimson tide: now that is what we call a movie…

This blogger has seen Hollywood movie Crimson Tide not less than five times. Every time it comes in TV I really get sucked into it. It is one of the best movies I have seen for a longtime. This amazing movie is about mutiny in American nuclear submarine. I always had liking for men of character and conviction and there are lots of them in Armed forces whom I admired and opportunity to interact at very close level. This movie reminded me of the world I knew. They handle stress so well that you stand back and admire, I have seen that in senior elderly guys. There presence itself will straighten people at least in 1km radius!. These people are of different breed. You watch Crimson Tide you know what I am talking about. I just loved the reference on horses, the talk captain had on what he believed is white horses from Portugal. Readers wouldn’t believe there is a horse in Indian racing circuit (at Pune if I got it right) that is named Crimson Tide and this blogger had played on it few years back, apart from being a decent type this movie was the main reason to go for it!!. And yes I got it for longer odds, cool 2000rs on that!!. In this context one need mention that 2009 Bangalore Derby was an amazing race (try see that on the web, this blogger has seen it many times. Incredible. I am proud of some of these jockeys, they are master act. Wonder why they are not considered for Arjuna Award?)

Of course I have seen the corrupt side of the Army too, I know some who got court martialed. Incidentally I know personally about recruitment related corruption and wouldn’t be surprised some caught in jaipur recently were known to me!!. If it can happen in 80s jaipur it must be big business now!. But I would like to stick to the positive side of the experience in this blog. In Chennai I was regular at transit camp and would interact with young officers who were mostly part of the battalion on move. I got along famously well, mostly my name was referred to get in touch to move around Chennai hangouts. I still recall few of them, one lieutenant I remember who was coming from Siachin had permanent swelling in his fingers, he told me lot about those places. They even showed me all the ammunitions and explained in detail. Man it was great. During Kargil war I was not into TV, nor was aware of details but yes tried to get the info on dead soldiers, should have known many of them. They were people who had lots of determination, sincerity of purpose and yes discipline. For instance you tell them meet at Anna Salai at so and so place at this time and you can expect them to be there sharp to the dot. Incidentally I too am very much stickler of time and have dislike for people who don’t take time seriously. Committing to other is a grave responsibility some people don’t understand this, I find that least amusing and take it as reflection on character of the person. What motivated those soldiers was not really money, looking back I wonder whether it is possible to have such people in contemporary market manipulated world. It is surreal.