Monday, October 15, 2007

Amazing win by Gobelin in Pune derby

Gobelin guided by Master Jockey Appu wins Pune Derby against all fancied horses in the field. It was an incredible race to watch, from being at dead last to win by almost three lengths in last 500ms (check video).

I have been to Pune Race course when I was school, also we used to watch races from the road behind the race course leading to AFMC where few of us classmates used to go for tuitions in our cycles…sometimes we got late because of it!!. My association with horses happened quite early, Pune is the place where I used to go for Horse riding early mornings, sometimes instead of regular ground we used to trot along the lanes, that was real fun (when Col. Rao was around he used to initiate these, he was cool fellow but very strict). Sometimes I used to carry jaggery in my pocket to feed the horse. My favourite horse used to be Anarkali, a mare. I used to so much like her that classmates got tired and some started to call me anarkali, that is how they stopped me!!. I used to spend lots of time reading about horses.

Jaipur also had a substantial presence of horses but I was bit too small, my neighbors boy was really into it (I suspect they have a horse now…Major BP Singh’s horses do run at Mumbai-Pune circuit). I went with him few times and watched from the sideline. I also got into riding in Transit camp Madras, but the ground was rough and dangerous.

Horses are amazing animals and its great fun to watch them galloping.