Monday, May 28, 2007

On watching movies and telling stories

Yesterday I happen to watch this movie ‘Jani Dushman’, it is quite a badly made movie with array of popular actors of 70s and 80s. For me though this movie holds lots of significance. It’s like this in school days I used to watch hell lot of hindi movies since army theaters were very cheap (almost free) and there was always one nearby, also since most were ‘open air’ you could see it from some wall. They used to change the movies once or twice in a week, and this was quite an event since those were the days when most people didn’t have TV. In school also talk was mostly about ‘kya thoone yeh picture dekhi hai ?’ so if you have watched and others haven’t then it’s about ‘acha story suna’ then there would be stampede of kids who want to listen the story, it used to spread like wildfire ‘oye yeh film ki story suna raha hai’, they congregate excitedly. There were kids who could quote the dialogue with dramatic effect and so in demand. There were occasions when I had watched the movie before anyone but my stint in this ‘field’ was quite short. What happened was I used to tell the story but also add my own masala, soon lost credibility ‘yeh saala bana ke boltha hai, isse story math suniyo’. I just couldn’t resist the masala part, so would take the ‘hero’ on my little ride, detour!!. So they say after watching ‘oye thoone jaisa kaha vaise tho kuch hai nahi!!’ accusing of some serious misdemeanor. In late 70s or early 80s if I recall correctly ‘jani dushman’ was quite a popular movie (I was in delhi that time). For some reason I couldn’t watch the movie although I disparately wanted to since I had heard the ‘story’. This was supposed to be ‘horror movie’, ‘drawni picture hai’ unlike most other movies of those days; I carried the vivid image of a man changing into demon as sketched in the posters (Jekyll Hyde variety) for long time. It was only yesterday I finally stumbled upon this movie in one of the channels, quite accidentally though. It was such a let down, but even then I watched it till the end, just to confirm whether that kid had told the ‘story’ correctly. I recall the face of the boy very vaguely, he must now be a middle aged man working in some office somewhere least recalling the ‘film story’ he told me years and years back on that crowded back bench of the class facing the window and I imagining (and asking myself every few minutes) ‘aisa ho saktha hai kya?’.