Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Spare a thought for Mr. Murasoli

Last year I had the opportunity to be in Madurai. I was exploring the place and came across a small park that had a statue of a king, since the inscription was in Tamil I searched for someone who could explain it to me. That is when I came across Murasoli, he sat nearby and was reading some technical papers. I got talking to him. He had high ambitions and wanted to do well in computer engineering, found this place silent enough to concentrate. I asked him about his name, he explained that his father was an ardent DMK supporter (Karunanidhi to be specific). He was named after the newspaper the Party published. With family infightings in DMK and violence in Madurai one wonders what must be going through Murasoli’s mind? I sincerely hope his name doesn’t become a liability for him. With the kind of politicians around don’t know whether that is hoping for too much.
Some people are genuine the moment you meet, so took his photograph. His ambitious self with limited resources was also endearing. I wished him best of luck and moved on.

Tail piece: Talking of names I have come across many different and interesting names of people. But the one I recollect distinctly was of my college mate: Dil Prem Pratheek, he explained to me that he was symbol of his parents love and also they wanted to name in Hindi since it was national language. Quite romantic!! Another interesting name I came across is: Betnisol, now this boy was named after a medicine which saved him when he was an infant. Imagine being named after doctor’s prescription!!. Never could beat this one.
In 1970s there was a craze in Kerala to give children two letter name, it was kind of trendy….the reason why you have saju, liju riju, aby, mini, lizy, reji, …and hundreds of permutations and combination of these and more!!. And yes you wouldn’t find these in Maneka Gandhi’s list!!.