Monday, August 03, 2015

The Ted Turner way

To be very frank I didn’t know much about Ted Turner, just a vague idea of him being a ‘media mogul’ so on. The other day I was watching CNN and saw this interview (Amanpour.) that got me riveted. What an amazing man. Apart from brilliance and quaint quintessential American way, that is almost extinct, he is precise and alert to the point with sharp memory. Some people attract you instantly. When asked about Bill Gate’s investment in fossil fuel, he didn’t go haranguing of any sort, on the contrary, he just said ‘he is smart’. Sarcasm at its best. What I also liked is this concept of buying land and let it be the way it is, with free horses and wild bisons, quite a sight that one.


I have seen palatial houses that doesn’t even leave an inch of ‘waste space’ no gardens no nothing just concrete. It is therefore a refreshing idea to buy land and create forest or just leave it the way it is. I recall few years back while I was cycling through Kerala meeting a man who created a forest on his private property. The task of conservation should include more people, private sanctuaries should be allowed ofcourse under strict wildlife laws and precautions. It is time to introduce private/public participation into wildlife sanctuaries. I have sponsored animals in the zoo, but if there is an option of sponsoring wild animals in their habitat I will prefer that.